Why you should pledge
WMBR is noncommercial radio, offering many hours of programming that cannot be found on any other radio station anywhere. We are 100% volunteer, with no paid staff. This is rare ‐ even among other local college and public stations.
Our primary source of income is listener donations. Although we receive a small stipend from MIT, this has recently been reduced due to budget cuts throughout the Institute. More than ever, we rely on your support to bring you our diverse programming!
Where the money goes
We've used donations from previous years to improve the station in order to provide you with high-quality radio close to 24 hours a day. Here are some specific things we've spent your money on over the past year:
- Industry-standard DJ players and a mixer to enable DJs to mix sets live on the air.
- Prototypes of custom hardware and software to modernize playback of digital audio files in order to move away from burning CDs and toward a digital music library.
- A versatile networked video camera to live-stream our shows and musical guests. It's already been used at some live remote broadcasts as well as several in-studio performances and talk shows.
- New amplifiers and live sound equipment to improve the quality of our live events, and new monitor speakers to improve the sound in our studios.
- New iMac computers and monitors, replacing our aging ones, to keep our office running smoothly.
In addition to the big-ticket items, there are countless little things that keep broadcast radio going 24/7: turntable styli, computer keyboards and mice, dozens of cables and headphones, and the parts that let us repair our hard-to-replace equipment.
This year's donations are earmarked for continuing work on our mobile apps and online streaming; a new copier/printer for our office; and analog/digital converters to connect our live remote broadcast setup to our studio, to let us broadcast live from anywhere with an Internet connection. In addition, the building housing WMBR's transmitter and antenna is scheduled to be demolished as part of the ongoing construction in Kendall Square. We will be purchasing a new transmitter, tower and antenna for one of the new buildings to be completed sometime in the next few years. While some of this new equipment is necessary for such a move, it should also make our signal more reliable. Your donations will contribute directly to the engineering and FCC fees, new devices, wire, wood, nuts, bolts, screws, and whatever else we need to make all this possible.
Some premiums are available as our way of saying thank you for your support. They are tokens of appreciation for your tax-deductible donation to WMBR. This year we're offering T-shirts, 3/4 sleeve baseball shirts, packable windbreakers, packable tote bags, water bottles, a pom pom hat and socks combo, mason jar radios, and even the opportunity to come in and DJ for an hour during your favorite WMBR program!
Here's a sneak peek at what the premiums look like:
- Packable Tote Bag
- Nalgene Water Bottle
- 3/4 Sleeve Baseball Shirt
- Pom Pom Hat/Socks Combo Pack
- Packable Windbreaker
- Mason Jar Radio
We also offered up hundreds of CDs, DVDs, books, gift certificates and other limited merchandise.