WMBR Fundraiser 2016!
Why you should pledge
WMBR is noncommercial radio, offering many hours of programming that cannot be found on any other radio station anywhere. We are 100% volunteer, with no paid staff. This is rare ‐ even among other local college and public stations.
Our primary source of income is listener donations. Although we receive a small stipend from MIT, this has recently been reduced due to budget cuts throughout the Institute. More than ever, we rely on your support to bring you our diverse programming!
Where the money goes
We've used donations from previous years to improve the station in order to provide you with high-quality radio close to 24 hours a day. Here are some specific things we've spent your money on over the past year:
- A voluntary FCC broadcast inspection (which we passed!), valid through 2018, certifying that WMBR is in compliance with all applicable FCC regulations.
- New audio interfaces in control rooms for consistent, quality audio from DJs’ laptops.
- An upgraded computer network and wi-fi access.
- Converted our digital music players from hard disks to solid-state for increased reliability.
- Equipment (adapters, ear plugs, cables, video equipment) and payments for the performing artists at our Ampersand concert series.
- A new PC and large screen display in our lounge, to use at meetings and other gatherings.
- New laptops and headsets to help our pledgetakers take your pledge!
In addition to the big-ticket items, there are countless little things that keep broadcast radio going 24/7: the repair of several CD players and our mixing boards, turntable styli and vinyl care products, dozens of cables and headphones, and the parts that let us repair our hard-to-replace equipment.
This year's donations are earmarked for new iMac computers to replace aging ones; digital signage in the station to keep members and DJ’s informed; continuing work on our mobile apps and online streaming; software and hardware to modernize and expand opportunities for live-mixing DJ’s; and significant enhancements to processing and recording equipment in our live-on-air performance space, for more live performances and the opportunity to train staff in a sophisticated studio environment. Your donations will contribute directly to the new devices, wire, wood, nuts, bolts, screws, and whatever else we need to make all this possible.
Some premiums were available as our way of saying thank you for your support. They are tokens of appreciation for your tax-deductible donation to WMBR. This year we're offering T-shirts, enamel pins, grocery/record bags, scarves, beach towels, sweatshirts, and other cool WMBR-branded paraphernalia, and even the opportunity to come in and DJ for an hour during your favorite WMBR program!
Here's a sneak peek at what the premiums look like:
We also offered up hundreds of CDs, DVDs, books, gift certificates and other limited merchandise.