WMBR Fundraiser 2017!
Why you should pledge
WMBR is noncommercial radio, offering many hours of programming that cannot be found on any other radio station anywhere. We are 100% volunteer, with no paid staff. This is rare ‐ even among other local college and public stations.
Our primary source of income is listener donations. Although we receive a small stipend from MIT, this has recently been reduced due to budget cuts throughout the Institute. More than ever, we rely on your support to bring you our diverse programming!
Where the money goes
We've used donations from previous years to improve the station in order to provide you with high-quality radio close to 24 hours a day. Here are some specific things we've spent your money on over the past year:
- New mixing equipment, microphones, and other parts and supplies to support our live-on-air performances.
- New tools for our all-volunteer technical staff to test, repair, maintain and renovate our equipment.
- Digital signage to keep DJs and other members informed.
- New iMac computers, replacing our aging ones, to keep our office running smoothly.
- Replacement batteries for our transmitter’s backup power source along with other parts to repair our transmitter and fiber-optic studio feed.
- A new portable setup to make live, remote broadcasts happen. It's already been used at three live events over the past year, with more planned!
In addition to the big-ticket items, there are countless little things that keep broadcast radio going 24/7: the repair of several CD players and our mixing boards, turntable styli and vinyl care products, dozens of cables and headphones, and the parts that let us repair our hard-to-replace equipment.
This year's donations are earmarked for continuing work on our mobile apps and online streaming; software and hardware to modernize and expand opportunities for live-mixing DJs; and a new copier/printer for our office. In addition, the building housing WMBR's transmitter and antenna is scheduled to be demolished as part of the ongoing construction in Kendall Square. We will be purchasing a new transmitter, tower and antenna for one of the new buildings to be completed sometime in the next few years. While some of this new equipment is necessary for such a move, it should also make our signal more reliable. Your donations will contribute directly to the new devices, wire, wood, nuts, bolts, screws, and whatever else we need to make all this possible.
Some premiums were available as our way of saying thank you for your support. They are tokens of appreciation for your tax-deductible donation to WMBR. This year we're offering T-shirts, coozie/coaster combo packs, mugs, baseball hats, hoodies, courier bags, mason jar radios, and even the opportunity to come in and DJ for an hour during your favorite WMBR program!
Here's a sneak peek at what the premiums look like:
- Coozie/Coaster Combo Pack
- Ceramic Mug
- Baseball Hat
- Zip-Up Hoodie
- Courier Bag
- Mason Jar Radio
We also offered up hundreds of CDs, DVDs, books, gift certificates and other limited merchandise.