Listen to WMBR
Call or Text us at 617-253-8810
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Mastodon Follow us on Twitter
Fri 2:24 AM : now playing:   (rebroadcast of Dec 31, 1969)
partly cloudy, 72°F
88.1 fm
staff only
Is WMBR Causing Interference with Your TV, VCR, or Stereo?

We're very sorry to hear that. We've provided this page in the hopes that it may help you solve some of the problems that you are experiencing. If you are unable to resolve your interference problems, please contact the WMBR Technical Director at 617-253-4000, or via email at and he or she will try to assist you.

Cable TV Problems

If you are experiencing reception problems with cable TV channel 6, try tightening the connections to your TV, VCR and cable converter box. In some cases, the cable connecting your TV or VCR may not be properly shielded and replacing this cable with a new RG-6 coax cable will solve your interference problems. These can be purchased at Radio Shack. Call your cable company for a service appointment if tightening the connections does not work or if you're not sure of how to replace the cable yourself.

Another possible solution is a filtering device (also called a "choke" or a "trap"). There are several ways to do this, but the most effective device is a tuneable FM trap designed specifically to eliminate the 88.1 MHz frequency. This device connects to the back of the TV set where the cable connects. Screw the filter onto the set and then connect the cable to the filter.

Interference to TV Channel 6 (Non-Cable)

If you are experiencing reception problems on TV channel 6, try a FM trap available at Radio Shack. It is a small silver box (3 inches) that connects to the back of your set. You will need a coupler to connect it to the set. The sales person can help you locate one. A more effective device would be the tuneable trap mentioned above.

VCR Interference

Sometimes the interference can occur only to your VCR and not your TV. To determine if your VCR is receiving the interference and not your television, turn your TV on, and your VCR off. If the interference continues, the unwanted signal may be entering through your TV set or antenna system. If the interference disappears, your VCR is picking up the signal. This could be entering through the VCR case, the connections and\or cables or through the power cord. Possible solutions include replacing wires with shielded cables (coaxial cables) and replacing push-on connectors with screw-on connectors. These wires can be purchased at your local hardware or audio video store.

Telephone and Answering Machine Interference

There are a number of ways in which a radio signal can enter a telephone. Check the handset cord to see if it has been stretched too much. Try replacing it if it has. Most of the interference to telephones occurs to the internal mechanisms of the phone. Some manufacturers make telephones without adequate shielding from strong RF signals. Sometimes a filter can be used on a a phone line to reduce or eliminate interference. For more information, take a look at the FCC's webpage on Telephone Interference.

For answering machines, snap on filter chokes (explained below) have been successful at eliminating RF interference. Wrap the power cord around the choke as close as possible to the back of the unit. If the machine utilizes a cassette tape, it may be necessary to replace it with a tapeless unit.

Radio and Stereo Interference

If you hear WMBR when you play your compact disc player or cassette player, most likely the interference is to the audio amplifier of the system. What may help alleviate this problem is a choke that can be found at Radio Shack. It's called a "Snap-On Filter Choke." The catalogue number is 273-104. By wrapping the speaker wire or power cord around these chokes, you may reduce or eliminate the interference to your equipment. It may be necessary to resolve the problem by installing an external antenna and a rejection filter. Most equipment that is not equipped with a three wire cord should have it's chassis and cabinet grounded with a separate ground connection. It is generally safest to connect all grounds to a good earth ground, such as a metallic water pipe or a driven 8 foot ground rod.

For more information on radio interference with consumer electronics, take a look at the FCC's webpage on Interference.

© WMBR is a registered servicemark of the Technology Broadcasting Corporation. MIT Contact WMBR